Skip to main content

Letter 17 - "My greatest sorrow is the loss of my two teeth."

A note from the Editors:

A couple of days after the crash and Oliver is recovering, and news about the accident from a fellow squadron mate shows he was lucky to escape so lightly.


Franked 24 AUG 17
Mrs Chas. E. Pearson,
Hillcrest,
Lowdham,
Notts.

39 Stationary Hospital France } BEF France
70 Squadron
Letter no 10

My dear people
The above are my two addresses but address my letters to the second as I hope not to be here much longer. My cuts have healed very rapidly although I haven’t had the stitches out yet & my eye is practically unbunged up. My greatest sorrow is the loss of my two teeth which I cannot get over. It’s so awkward amongst other things to eat. I even have to eat pears with a spoon! & I think that is the outside edge. The two teeth I have lost were also the two I invariably held my pipe with & it feels so awkward holding it in the other side.

One tooth, one of my tombstones, has gone completely & the one next door is all cracked up what there is of it & is broken off level with the gum & is very sensitive. My ankle is better & I am now allowed to walk about where I like dressed in a dressing gown. They have sent my kit here from the Squadron & with it my goggles that I was wearing at the time. They are smashed up 30/- gone west with a rush. I am sending them back to be mended with all haste. My cap has a little of my gore on.

Another fellow from the Squadron has joined me here. He was fighting a Bosch & got a lot of little splinters of bullets in his leg but got back to the aerodrome alright. He is to have them cut out to-day. He thanks me like anything for smashing up the bus I did as it was his & he did not like it (neither did I). A fellow came to see me yesterday & said I was well out of the smash so lightly as the buss was a total wreck.
I am picking up chess & beat a fellow here two of three games. Otherwise we spend out time chatting reading & strolling round.

My wrist watch has arrived safely & it is going finely I hope my cheque arrived too.
Last night there was a big migration of swallows here thousands of them wheeling round in the dusk of evening & twittering as they do. The worst here are the mosquitoes or “skitters” which torment one at night. They not only raise a lump but the lump also has a yellow head to it full of poison I suppose. I got bitten badly last night.

From here I can see our boys setting out over the line & how I wish I were with them. Yesterday a Bosch plane came over in broad daylight but rumour has it that he didn’t get back home. Archie made the usual pretty patterns in the sky without getting anywhere near the Bosch. Aunt May (TW) wrote me a letter telling me news of people I had never befor heard of and all about her troubles so that I should write to her from France I suppose. Anyway, now is a good chance & I have got it over. With much love to all from
Yours as always
Oliver XXXX

Comments

Mike Johnson said…
Some info on hospitals during the Great War, including the locations of 39 Stationary Hospital.

http://www.1914-1918.net/hospitals.htm

Popular posts from this blog

Letter 21 - I was a bit surprised you bet but I have had my first trip over hunland.

A note from the Editors: We are missing a letter which is a pain, as things have moved on a pace since Olivers last letter! He has now been posted back to 70 Squadron and straight back in the saddle, with a description of his first eventful flight over enemy lines - 'Hunland'. It has been just 3 weeks since his crash. Franked 8 SP 17 O.A.S. Mrs Chas. E. Pearson, Hillcrest, Lowdham, Notts. Letter No. 15 II 70 Squadron RFC BEF France 6.9.17 Letter no 15 Dear Mother & Dad. I have just received two letters from you dated 2 Sept so that they have only taken 4 days to come. I am again with my Squadron. I played my last card and won. I slung my weight about till I must have made everyone fed up with me & so they got a hustle on. I came back yesterday morning & flew in the afternoon for about an hour & a half. This morning at 5.30 I was wakened up to say I was for patrol at six. I was a bit surprised you bet but I have had my first trip over hunland. It was very cloudy

Welcome to 'An Airmans Lost Letters' 1915-1917

These long forgotten letters penned by a young R.F.C. pilot, 2nd Lt. Oliver Charles Pearson to his Mother during the Great War, were discovered and liberated from a skip filled with the remnants of a roof clearance at a property in Southampton, UK during the mid 1990s. Within the past year they were rediscovered (again) having sat in a box in a loft for the last 10-15 years and were kindly passed to this sites authors, both of whom share an interest in social and military history from this period. Any links the letters had with the Pearson family have been long forgotten. We, the creators of this website, believe these documents are important social records of great interest to many, truly deserving preservation and a wider audience. When the letters came into our possession, via the nephew of the original finder, we deliberated over what we should do with them - perhaps donate them to a war museum? Oliver Pearsons old school? or return them to any living descendants, should we di

We can finally see the face behind the letters

Since we started this blog in 2008, we feel we have got to know Oliver quite well, from the letters home we have shared here. One thing that frustrated us though was not having an image of Oliver. We really wanted to put a face to the young man. The Great War saw an explosion in photography, with every proud soldier and sailor having a studio photograph taken of themselves in uniform, and made into multiple postcards to send on to family and friends. And less common than the studio portraiture, not helped by strict censorship in force, were pocket cameras and amateur photographers. Oliver himself mentions his camera several times ... "Talking of photographs I am sorry you will have no studio ones of me because while I was at home and at Birmingham I had no clothes fit to wear and while at the C.F.S. had no opportunity but I do promise that I will have some done here when and as soon as it is possible for me. It should not be difficult. Keep all the letters from me that are int