Skip to main content

Letter 13 - expecting to be posted soon...

A note from the Editors:

Oliver still waiting to be posted, and feeling dejected as all his fellow pilots have already gone to squadrons.


Franked 11 AUG 17
Mrs Chas. E. Pearson,
Hillcrest,
Lowdham,
Notts.

No1AD Officers Pool Mess
France
8.8.17
Letter No 5

My dear Mother
I got your first letter yesterday & was so pleased to have the photos. I thought that particular film had gone west with two others that have been lost. Arent the photos good as such considering the light in which they were taken. Ena is awful serious in hers isn’t she about the only second she looked serious that day – of course.

I shall have them mounted & hang them near my bed when I get a bed of my own. I haven’t been posted yet as you see but expect to be to-night. I am very desolate as all my real friends who have been with me now on 3 moves (4 of them) have been posted. The last went to-night. He has been with me all through since Turnhouse & was a very white friend. He was an Australian named Vick & comes from Sidney. He was the best fellow I have yet met to have an enjoyable night out with as he never went beyond a certain point or let you & yet you always had a very pleasant time. Its one of the drawbacks of greatness that you get parted from your pals: he only flies Pups, but was an excellent but not dashing pilot. I feel deserted.

Donald was sort of expectant & suppressed excitement. He will have a bad time till he gets used to things in general but he wont go wrong I should think with all his home training.
Send that silly ass Archer his bob & a stinker of a letter to wake him up. He always was a fool & always will be now I suppose but if you go for him enough he wakes up with a start for about five minutes. He was of course my batman. I will write to Stephenson.
Don’t pay for Kodaks they are all prepaid.

I should very much like you to send me a few papers say The Observer, Punch & the Royal. We only get papers 2 days old & hear all the news from hearsay & know of the “lively bombardments” & the “Drum fire” by hearing it. Once it was so intense as to make the hut vibrate although 26 miles away & yet there wasn’t much sound only dull booms. The newsagent in Exchange Walks would do the whole job & I will pay for it. Keep an account of what I owe you most carefully.
I am awfully pleased to hear of Bettys success. Isn’t it great. Please congratulate her like anything for me & tell her how pleased I am.

Fren Hollands letter would be posted in Boulogne & mine was in --------. I know Leslie had won an MC but didn’t know what for till you told me. Poor old Buster Johnson as he was known in the ICOTC.

There has just been another of the funny sudden thunderstorms that seem to be general nowadays. The last one caused an apalling loss of valuable machines & pilots.
Last night I and a Canadian Captain walked into -------- to see the cathedral. It is truly a beautiful place but has been much renovated. A most beautiful Reubens hangs in there. It is of Christ being lowered from the cross & is an original but a duplicate as Reubens painted two like each other. In all the little side chapels hang most lovely old pictures but the chapels are so small you cannot see the pictures hardly at all the light in most cases making them shiny in some part. It is a great shame. The place is 13th centuary. The original floor now decorates the walls & the bases of pillars. Funny old pictures on large tiles or stones. There is an old statue of Christ making him look like a Buddha with short legs & sitting on the cathedral in miniture. Lots of the funny old carved & painted groups in stone are also very grotesque & old.

I went for about a ten mile walk last night the first part through fields & the second along an interminiable straight road with trees on one side at regular intervals & in a line.
There were vast stretches of barbed wire in places were it had been put during the first advance of the Huns.
Give my love to Dad & everyone & heaps for you
From your loving son
Oliver xxx

Most chaps have their girls photos but I havent got one so must have some of my very best friends. The photo of you and Ena together is awfully good. I like it very much. Send me one of “The smiling couple” that Biddy took please to hang up.

Comments

Mike Johnson said…
Leslie 'Buster' Johnson mentioned in this letter, and previously in our first letter posted, when Oliver shared his digs while in the IoCOTC, is probably this chap I've just found on the CWGC register -
http://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=304710
Second Lieutenant L N JOHNSON MC, 6th Bn Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment), killed 03/06/1917.

Popular posts from this blog

Letter 21 - I was a bit surprised you bet but I have had my first trip over hunland.

A note from the Editors: We are missing a letter which is a pain, as things have moved on a pace since Olivers last letter! He has now been posted back to 70 Squadron and straight back in the saddle, with a description of his first eventful flight over enemy lines - 'Hunland'. It has been just 3 weeks since his crash. Franked 8 SP 17 O.A.S. Mrs Chas. E. Pearson, Hillcrest, Lowdham, Notts. Letter No. 15 II 70 Squadron RFC BEF France 6.9.17 Letter no 15 Dear Mother & Dad. I have just received two letters from you dated 2 Sept so that they have only taken 4 days to come. I am again with my Squadron. I played my last card and won. I slung my weight about till I must have made everyone fed up with me & so they got a hustle on. I came back yesterday morning & flew in the afternoon for about an hour & a half. This morning at 5.30 I was wakened up to say I was for patrol at six. I was a bit surprised you bet but I have had my first trip over hunland. It was very cloudy

Welcome to 'An Airmans Lost Letters' 1915-1917

These long forgotten letters penned by a young R.F.C. pilot, 2nd Lt. Oliver Charles Pearson to his Mother during the Great War, were discovered and liberated from a skip filled with the remnants of a roof clearance at a property in Southampton, UK during the mid 1990s. Within the past year they were rediscovered (again) having sat in a box in a loft for the last 10-15 years and were kindly passed to this sites authors, both of whom share an interest in social and military history from this period. Any links the letters had with the Pearson family have been long forgotten. We, the creators of this website, believe these documents are important social records of great interest to many, truly deserving preservation and a wider audience. When the letters came into our possession, via the nephew of the original finder, we deliberated over what we should do with them - perhaps donate them to a war museum? Oliver Pearsons old school? or return them to any living descendants, should we di

Lt Werner Voss claims his 44th victim

On the 10th of September 1917 two young pilots met over the Flanders battlefield. One was nineteen year old 2nd Lt Oliver Charles Pearson, the other was  twenty year old Leutnant Werner Voss , flying a prototype of one of the brand new Fokker Triplanes ... Oliver had left the 70 Sqn airfield near Poperinge at 4.45pm in Sopwith Camel B3787, on an offensive patrol to nearby Houlhulst Wood.  Lt Werner Voss was by then commander of 10 Jasta. One of Germanys top fighter aces, he was a natural pilot and aggressive fighter with 43 kills to his credit so far, second only to his friend and competitor Baron Manfred Von Richthofen.  Werner had been chosen to test fly Anthony Fokkers prototype only a few days before at the end of August. With aero engines in short supply his was fitted with a 110 hp  LeRhône engine  engine from a captured RFC Nieuport 17 fighter. Voss with Anthony Fokker Voss and his Triplane with his distinctive Japanese kite face painted on the Nacelle.